Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Nora's St Louis Comic Con Wrapup

Brittany covered most of the con, but I will share a few things with you :)

Like she mentioned, I got there on Thursday evening. What I was expecting to be a five hour drive only took four hours, so that made my life a lot happier. I listened to this song on a loop most of the way there, which got me pretty pumped up.
My packing job. I'm pretty proud of how organized I was for this.
As soon as I got there, we went into hyperdrive. We spent most of our time working on Vanille and Lightning, because we had not made much progress on those in the last few weeks. I also finished my shield for my Assassin's Creed/Zelda costume. Most importantly, however, I met Brittany's cat :)

The next day, the convention started in the afternoonland, so we had some time in the morning to finish up Dany and Link before we went to the con. I was kind of worried that Brittany was going to panic and refuse to wear Dany, like at ACen last year, so as soon as she started worrying about her wig, I jumped into action! 

I decided to make a super terrible Viserys costume so I could run around trolling people. Also then I could take pictures and have pockets and all of those useful things that are usually impossible for me at conventions. The wig is a Jane in platinum blonde by Arda. I used a straightener to make the curls look.... lanker (oh, it hurt so much. That was a beautiful wig). I made the tunic out of a men's black tuxedo shirt that I got from Goodwill. I cut off the sleeves and painted on a crappy dragon thing in about five minutes, while I waited for the remade dragon pin (I'd already made one for Brittany, but I made a second one for me in about 45 seconds) to bake. Pants, boot covers, shirt and belt, I already owned. Easiest costume ever.

Here we are as Targaryens. 
smirkity smirk smirk
perfecccccctttttt.

























Anyway, that was crazy fun. I did a lot of trolling, leaning, and smirking. I actually liked wearing this costume a lot, it wasn't quite as comfortable as Assassin's Link, but it was really nice all the same. 

Somewhere on the internet, there is a picture of Brittany and me together, but I don't remember where I saw it so I'll just have to post it later (if I ever see it again). 

As soon as we got home from the con on Friday, we started working on Vanille and Lightning again. So many times, we thought about giving up, but sheer willpower got us to some form of completion. I think Brittany pulled it off a lot better than I did (I still need to work out like, a lot more)


totally baller
dumbest face ever, haha

























Nevertheless, I'm super proud of us for finishing at all. We got almost everything done (a few minor details were off, but nobody at this convention would have known) and they were totally wearable. Obviously, if we're going to wear them to ACen, we'll have to step it up a little bit, but we're definitely on our way :)

After lunch, we decided to change costumes. We wanted to enter the costume contest, but we weren't feeling confident enough in our final fantasy gear to do that, so we decided to use Link and Dany. Brittany was really amazing, it seemed like everyone knew who she was. We even met an Aegon, like Brittany mentioned, which was totally cool. I'm pretty sure he actually won something because his costume was just so darn impressive. 

We had a really fun time there and at the after party. We met lots of people and talked costuming and drank drinks and.... it was lovely.

obligatory picture of Assassin's Link,
from the Riverfront Times
Like Brittany mentioned, we couldn't get out to the con the next day. This was pretty heartbreaking for Brittany because she had commissioned a Drogo from the artist who gave her Dany, so we basically sat and stared out the window all day, waiting for the snow to stop. Eventually, we gave up and wrote a funny Lord of the Rings adaptation and watched some weird anime and ate pancakes. All in all, it was a pretty fun day, following an amazing convention.

Next up is ACen (although, honestly, we haven't even bought our passes yet). We've got a lot planned, but whatever we do pull off, I know we'll have a blast, just like last year :)




No comments:

Post a Comment