Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pre-Production: Thranduil

I'm sure by now everyone has seen both The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey as well as the ~fabulous~ publicity photos of Lee Pace as Thranduil, the Elvenking of Mirkwood.


That's right. He's the most fabulous thing you've ever seen. Gingerhaze has kind of taken the fabulosity and flown with it, creating a series of Thranduil drawings and comics that are amazing and hilarious.

I long to be this fierce. Also, I want to wear that crown. Thus, what was originally going to be a joke costume has become...well...still a joke costume. But it's going to be well-made. And I am super excited about it.

After being extremely stressed out about finishing things for STL Comic-Con, I want to take it easy on myself before ACEN in May. I don't foresee Thranduil as being terribly difficult. First of all, I've got a pattern that I can adapt to the robe, and I found some fabric:


The crown will most likely be made out of aluminum foil covered in either PaperClay or Model Magic. No sanding required here because of the crown's texture. The red feather-like pieces remain a mystery to me, but I'll figure that out soon enough.

The only other requirements for the costume are some gigantic rings, stunner shades, and a pimp cup. BAM. Elvenking.

2 comments: